Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Beta Feedback, Part One: The Simulator

EDIT 09/03/2014: New videos with better accuracy have been uploaded to part 2.5.

EDIT 08/14/2014: It was recently discovered that the "average combo" counter is counting every empty GCD as its own individual 0-length combo.  If our intention is to count only unbroken chains of attacks towards this statistic, the average combo for all videos should be significantly higher than displayed.  We will aim to redo these simulations before proceeding with Part 3 of the test.

Celestalon writes:

I haven't received a beta invite yet, but I still wanted to give feedback on the changes in the beta patch notes.  So I built my own interactive monk simulator.  Really.  Here it is in action:



That video is a playthrough using my live monk, scaled down to 5.4 Proving Grounds (i.e. entry-level raid gear).  I spent quite some time making sure the simulator plays just like the real game, or close enough that a rookie like myself can't feel the difference anyway.
I kinda forgot Xuen, but he's not on the GCD so I don't have to rerecord all this.  Just add 0.3 APM if you are so inclined.

Next, let's look at the same monk at level 100 in 6.0, with the same amount of haste from gear.  In the following video, I use Celestalon's suggestion of taking Ascension and Serenity:



Historically, though, monks have benefited more from Chi Brew than Ascension, and Ascension has been weakened even further in 6.0, so I made a third video showing a Tigereye-Brew-focused build I might use if I wanted to be invited to raids:




First Impressions:


Gosh this is Not Fun.  Windwalkers are supposed to be the Fun class.

Fewer actions per minute on beta, despite higher haste.

Even with the new 5% haste buff and Ascension, my level 100 monk in entry-level raid gear can't keep up with my level 90.

It's just as easy to make mistakes on beta, and doing so is even more punishing.

There's a tense moment just before FoF is about to come off CD when I'm trying to keep my chi between 3 and 5 (or 6) and energy below 50, without letting any buffs fall off.  In the worst case scenario, I spend nine seconds recovering enough chi to cast FoF.  This is Not Fun.

I look forward to Rising Sun Kick on live.  I dread Fists of Fury on beta.

RSK didn't have any of those problems.  RSK is Fun To Press.  I just hit it instead of BoK once every eight seconds.  Trying to hit RSK the very instant it comes off GCD without stopping to jab first is Fun.  Doing the same for FoF is Not Fun.

Fewer consecutive chained abilities on beta.

Despite achieving a 41-hit combo on beta with serenity, my average combo count was much lower on beta than live.  I'm scared to hit multiple buttons in a row on beta for fear of wasting resources, whereas on live it's no big deal.

Conjecture: This "fluidity" -- not just APM or uptime -- is what makes live Windwalker so much fun to play.

Much like how Balance Druids get to use rapidfire starsurge procs, or Destruction Warlocks get to watch their chaos bolts hit for seven figures, Windwalker Monks are rewarded with the soothing rhythm of Jab > Kick > Jab > Kick for as long as they can manage their energy.  That's much more difficult to do on beta.

Chi Brew + Chi Explosion is very slow indeed and must never become optimal singletarget DPS.

1.3 average combo, 32% downtime, and 40 APM are all unprecedentedly slow for Windwalker Monks and would be more suited towards a different class altogether.


More to follow...
We've barely started talking about the Windwalker spec, in fact there are some big issues I haven't mentioned yet, but further discussion will have to wait until next time.  More testing is required first!

No comments:

Post a Comment